Wednesday, March 25, 2015

It's a Still Life Kind of Day

3/25/15 Platinum Carbon ink, VanGogh watercolors, Stillman & Birn Beta sketchbook
I wanted something a bit more challenging than the oranges and bananas on our kitchen counter. First I grabbed my neti pot, which has a challenging shape, and then I looked around my desk and threw a few colorful items into the pot. But it needed one more thing: the Hello Kitty Pez dispenser filled it out nicely.

Little did I know that this particular collection of random stuff was more challenging than I had bargained for. First, the subtle shadows on the neti pot’s white ceramic surface were even more difficult to capture than its shape. Pens and pencils always come out a little crooked when I sketch them. But who knew that Hello Kitty’s transparent head would turn out to be such a bear!

1 comment:

  1. Fun sketch with some items usually not related to a neti pot! White surfaces are tricky but you did a great job on the shadows.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...