Sunday, May 19, 2013

Farmer’s Market Season: Open!


5/19/13 Platinum Carbon ink, Zig markers, Stillman & Birn Alpha sketchbook
As far as I’m concerned, the farmer’s market season officially opened today with my first visit of the year to Pike Place Market. With so many sketching subjects everywhere – interesting architecture, a sweeping view of Puget Sound and the Great Wheel, colorful produce and flower stands, lots of people – I was weary of challenging myself all weekend at Frank and Gail’s workshop and decided to go for sketching comfort food: musicians and other street performers.
 
Near the main Market entrance, vocalist Lohan Prado sang all my favorite Beatles tunes as well as other classics from the ‘50s and ‘60s.
 
5/19/13 Iroshizuku Take-Sumi ink, Zig marker, S & B Alpha
A block north, Phinneas, a 20-year-old Congo African parrot, performed astonishing tricks of voice and acrobatics with his human, who has been bringing Phinneas to the Market for the past 12 years. Phinneas prefers to perch on the newspaper box next to the curb, but he obliged me while I sketched by perching on his human’s hand.
 
Nearby, Ron Duncan gave an equally amazing performance of – well, I’m not sure how to categorize it. His repertoire consisted mostly of comedy and card tricks, but his grand finale was noteworthy: He hoola-hooped while solving a Rubik’s Cube with one hand and juggling a large book with the other. (Unfortunately, my sketching skills weren’t up to capturing his impressive finale.)
 
My last sketch before it was time for the sketchbook sharing was of a violinist with a unique style: He wore a fanny pack with a pocket that supported his violin. I sketched him from an upper landing as he played in the stairwell that leads down to Western Avenue.
5/19/13 Take-Sumi ink, Zig marker, S & B Alpha
 
Ah, the Market! So what if the temperature was only in the 60s, and I wore my raincoat, just in case. Today might as well be the first day of summer!

5/19/13 Take-Sumi ink

1 comment:

  1. The market looks like a great place with a cast of characters! Nice sketches...I've been missing having access to the computer while I'm away. Home tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...