Friday, August 10, 2012

Handmade Ukulele



8/10/12 Pitt Artist's Pen, watecolor, Stillman & Birn sketchbook
At the risk of repeating myself, I gave another shot at sketching this busker (my first attempt was about a month ago). He remembered that I had sketched him previously, and he started telling me about his new marketing materials (the classier TIP jar and a brochure about being available for gigs), his hat (acquired in a trade for music) and his handmade ukulele. With inlaid mother-of-pearl, abalone and ebony, the beautiful instrument is starting to show wear, he said. But, as he told the artisan who made it, he’s no collector who’s going to keep it in a glass case. This ukulele’s made for playing.




1 comment:

  1. Your sketches of the characters in the markets are great! I can just imagine the music and the atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...